"Don’t ever book them"
Never ever book from them. Shitty company with bad company practise ! Read ...
Never ever book from them. Shitty company with bad company practise ! Read their T&C carefully as they they don’t offer any refund regardless of your situation. Give covid 19 lockdown see their response as we booked our trip and the vehicle a year ago paying our deposit :
If you wish to take your booking moving forwards, then its available.
We are not returning money for deposits which are non-refundable. If your insurance company is not offering a refund, they are the ones who you should be contacting in an aggressive manner.
We shall be looking to clients who have bookings to open a conversation with dates, once borders are open to their country, I’m sure that each country will have differing restrictions for some time.
If we still have the vehicle you wished to book originally then we will move forwards with that hire.
If you wish to never set foot in our motorhome, that is your prerogative.
Hi Anne, We have already responded on numerous other platform's that you have attempted to troll us on.
We have offered you a selection of a different date at a time that is convenient to you, It has been industry standard that this what all operators are doing.
We have managed to deal with in excess of 60+ bookings this could potentially affect and you are the only one who has made such an issue, You stated that you never wanted to set foot in the motorhome and would be re-booking with an alternative company in your previous email.
If you have such an exception with non-refundable deposits as per our terms and conditions which are industry standard, We do suggest clients take travel insurance incase these events happen.
You maintained an aggressive stance from the initial email, and would have been happy with nothing less than exactly what you wanted.
We apoligise you have taken such exception, We have done our best through this and through out the previous 15 years of business and are happy to reschedule a date for your travel when it is possible to do so.
We were planning our NZ holidays and heard so much about Iconic Motorhome that we decided to go ahead and book it 1 year in advance for May 2020. Fast forward coming to a year later and with the pandemic situation we were informed by Iconic Motorhome that they do not offer any refund on our deposits nor allow changing of dates . Despite us appealing several times advising them that it is beyond our control over government policies including NZ authorities to shut down the doors they remained steadfast in their decision. All I can say is there is a lack of service and flexibility from this company and I will never go back to them again. Stay away if you do not want to be disappointed!
Please read the above response, This is completely inaccurate.
At your initial email before the boarder's of both countries had been closed you wanted to cancel, At the initial contact there was no indication that there would be any closures.
As the situation developed, We offered ALL clients the ability to change dates up to 3 months after boarders at both countries opened which has become industry standard.
This was offered to you, and you decided you would like to re-book with an alternative company, If you would like to re-book your dates as per what all clients have been offered we are happy to do so, If you wish to go elsewhere this is entirely your right.